India, a land of many diverse cultures and languages and is full of many surprises. It has many tourist places to visit in India that are worth your time. Here’s a list we have created to help you decide the 10 best places to visit in India!
If there was heaven on Earth, it would most certainly be here. Replete with lush natural beauty, orchards, houseboats, ethereal lakes and a ton of crazy things that you should do before you die, Srinagar in Jammu & Kashmir is the holiday destination for you. From the snow-covered peaks to the Mughal gardens and lakes, this Venice of the East will take your breath away.
Best time to visit Srinagar:
If you are planning a trip with your family, the best time will be between March and October. And if you are looking for adventure and want to experience the snowfall, December and January are the months for you.
Things to do in Srinagar:
- Rooftop tour of Srinagar (and other city tours)
- Enjoy a Shikara ride on the Dal Lake (for as cheap as 400 bucks!)
- Explore the heritage by going around the museums and art centers.
- Enjoy Camping by the Sindh riverside
- Water rafting (and other sports) in Sonmarg
The national capital has been the center of trade and maintained its significance throughout the times of Mughal, Tughluq, Mauryan, and British. It also has a rich history and culture. Being the focus of much hustle and bustle, the city is a hub of politics, commerce, entertainment, and knowledge. Do pitch it in your list of holiday destinations in India.
Best time to visit Delhi:
The weather in Delhi operates on extremes and is at its best around October till March, making it a bustling tourist destination around that time.
Things to do in Delhi:
- Theme Parks and entertainment centers; Madame Tussauds, Kingdom of dreams, Funmax Water amusement park, Trampoline parks, ice rinks and more.
- Be a part of the heritage walk of the city.
- Celebrate Chokhi Dhani; an elaborate cultural festival.
- Sightseeing and city tours: Delhi has many monuments like Red Fort and India Gate.
- Experience the rich and spicy street food.
With a host of the most amazing treks in the entire world, Leh-Ladhak is truly one of the best places to visit in India before you die. Breathe in and let its enchanting monasteries, serene and absolute beauty and serene mountain ranges bring peace to you.
Best time to visit Leh-Ladhak:
The most preferred time to visit is between May and October since weather can get pretty rough here in winter.
Things to do in Leh Ladhak:
- Rafting from Choksati to Sangam
- Trekking (Indus Valley, Snow leopard, Nubra Valley, Stok Kangri)
- Be a part of the Hemis festival
- Dive into the tranquillity of Pangong Lake and the myriad Buddhist Monastries.
4. Munnar, Kerala
Described as God’s own country, Kerala is quite popular among travellers. It will render you speechless with its immersive cultural experience and the lush bounty of nature. If you are looking for a place to visit in india with family where you can kiss stress goodbye, here’s the place for you.
Best time to visit Munnar:
To vibe in with the tourists, the peak season is between September to March but if would like to experience the monsoon, June-August will be excellent.
Things to do in Munnar:
- Touring tea plantations and orchards
- Rejuvenating Ayurvedic massages and spas
- Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary
- Cultural experiences at the Kathakali Centre
- Riding the backwaters and pristine beach experience
- Kolukkumalai Safari
5. Jaisalmer, Rajasthan
Set amidst the vast stretches of the Thar Desert, Jaisalmer brings to you a vibe like nowhere else. With the rich cultural heritage and filled with grand palaces of royal Rajput gharanas, the stories from this place will take your breath away.
Best time to visit Jaisalmer:
The best time to be here would be between November and March.
Things to do in Jaisalmer:
- Camel safari; Barna desert visit
- City Tour to Tanot and Longewal
- Jeep safari
- Exploring and sightseeing around Sonar Quila
- Be a part of Jaisalmer Desert Festival
6. Manali, Himachal Pradesh
A major tourist destination in India that can also provide a very calm and soothing experience of a small town in the mountains. Your perfect holiday destination to beat the heat is here. With a wide and exciting range of adventure sports, the place is alive with serene forests, monasteries, temples, and valleys.
Best time to visit Manali:
The tourist season peaks between March-June but Manali is in its pristine glory of white during October-February.
Things to do in Manali:
- Paragliding in Solang Valley
- Hiking at Anjani Mahadev valley, Vashisht, Jogni hike
- Rafting in Beas River
- Camping at Bhuntar, Thirtan Valley, Rangri or Kullu
- Trekking; Cahnderkhani pass trek, Jagatsukh trek, Malana-Weichin valley, Nehru Kund trek
- Excursions, Bike Rides, Jeep safaris and more
Changu Lake and Nathula Pass are enough testaments to Sikkim’s glory that will sweep you off. Village hikes, sightseeing and the ethereal views of Mount Kanchenjunga just add to its beauty. Replete with enriching experiences and lush greenery, Sikkim serves as one of the places you have ever visited. If you plan well, this can be a place to visit in India within 10000 bucks.
Best time to visit Sikkim:
The most suitable times to visit Sikkim is between March-May or October-December.
Things to do in Sikkim:
- Tour to Nathula
- Deltin Denzong Casino
- High Rope Adventures
- City tours
8. Kolkata, West Bengal
The tropical heart of India, West Bengal has many treasures making it one of the best places to visit in India. It is home to the floating mangrove forests, the Sunderbans, the royal Bengal tiger and large flora and fauna. Kolkata is replete with historical palaces and center for arts to keep the artist in you thriving but will also satiate the foodie in you with elaborate Bengali dishes.
Best time to visit in Kolkatta:
With a typical tropical climate, summers can be unbearable in the city and thus, a soothing period between October-March is preferred for holidaying.
Things to do in Kolkatta:
- Visiting The Vedic Village Resort
- Cruising Around Ganges
- Experience Adventurous activity at Mandarmoni
- Go on Heritage Walks and Heritage Tours
- Visiting Aquatica water theme park
- Enjoy bowling, parasailing, shooting, fishing, ziplining, and more
- Experience Cultural tours & City tours
- Visiting Museums and Art Centres
The city of palaces will keep you swooning over its intricate architecture and grand structures. With a rich history as well as religious context, Mysore is home to a lot of elaborate architecture. The royal procession of elephants that seem larger than life in their colorful decorations is a sight to watch!
Best time to visit Mysore:
Monsoon and winter are the preferable seasons here since the summers can be very harsh. The most pleasant time is between October and March.
Things to do in Mysore:
- Bird watching
- Heritage Walks
- City tours
- Resort outings
- Vineyard tours
10. Lakshadweep Islands
How does a getaway to a group of 36 islands with the most calming aesthetics ever sound to you? Sandy beaches, coral reefs, seaweeds, and all-things-sea, Lakshadweep is a treat for anyone who needs a break to just lie down in the sun and laze around. The freshness and bounty of nature supplemented by amazing resorts promises a luxury vacation.
Best time to visit Lakshadweep:
Lakshadweep has the most pleasant weather around the period of October to March as the sea is calmer then.
Things to do in Lakshadweep:
- Trekking with friends at Tadiandamol trek, Chelavara, Nishani Mote trek, Karkette trek, Chomakunda trek
- Jeep safari to Mandalpatti, Mallali waterfalls and Kabbe hills
- Fishing at Minicoy Island
- Enjoy romantic evening at Kavaratti Islands
- Visit beautiful Virgin Beaches
- Shopping at Amindivi Island
- Deep sea fishing and scuba diving
- Go for yacht trip
- Enjoy boating in speed boats, sail boats, kayak and canoes and more